We were delighted to welcome two guest choirs, jazz ensemble Take Twenty from London, and chamber choir Coro Armonia Casorate all the way from Italy! This is because the closing event of the Colliers Wood Arts Festival was also one of the concerts of the London Sangerstevne, which brings together choirs from all corners of the globe who love to sing together.
In line with the other Sangerstevne concerts, Entry was free (with a retiring collection for the church).
We offered to host a Sangerstevne concert this year because of the arts festival and because we knew it would not be a problem to find an appreciative audience for a choir far from its home turf.
Unfortunately the group which we had originally been paired with pulled out, so we were going to perform on our own until the organisers managed to conjure two more out of the hat.
We are very grateful to them and it was a great pleasure to hear both guest choirs.
Part 1: Take Twenty
- Besame Mucho (Velazquez, English lyric Sunny Skylar, arr. Malcolm Abbs)
- What A Wonderful World This Would Be (Cooke/Alpert/Adler, arr. Keith Abbs)
- Love Me or Leave Me (Kahn & Donaldson, arr. Malcolm Abbs)
- Java Jive (Oakland/Drake, arr. Keith Abbs)
- Blackbird (Lennon/McCartney, arr. Daryl Runswick)
- Sir Duke (Stevie Wonder, arr. Malcolm Abbs)
- Straighten Up and Fly Right (Cole/Mills, arr. Keith Abbs)
- Higher and Higher (Jackson/Smith/Miner, arr. David Griffiths)
Interval of 15 minutes
Part 2: Coro Armonia Casorate
- Santa Lucia (Teodoro Cottrau, arr. Ferrari)
- Annie Laurie (Lady John Scott)
- Yesterday (Lennon/McCartney)
- E me Levai d’una Bella Mattina (Azzaiolo, transcribed by G. Acciai)
- Git on Board (spritual, arr. Rosamond Johnson)
- Moon River (Mancini, arr. Felix Vela)
- O Magnum Pietatis (Monteverdi)
- John Brown’s Body (Trad. USA, harmonised by G.S. Astorino)
- Piu’ non si Trovano (Mozart)
- Inno al Creatore (Beethoven)
- Michelle (Lennon/McCartney)
- Amazing Grace (spiritual)
- Tutti mi Chiamano Bionda (popular Italian song, harmonised by C. Riffero)
- Goodnight, Sweetheart (Carter/Hudson, harmonised by Robert Sund)
- E Quando in Ciel (spiritual)
- Siyahamba (Zulu song)
- La Gatta (Paoli, arr. Mignemi)
- Nel Blu Dipinto di Blu (Modugno, harmonised by L. Pietropoli)
Interval of 15 minutes
Part 3: Colliers Wood Chorus
- Hyon Da (Trad. Icelandic, arr. C Killerby)
- Scarborough Canticle (Trad; Simon/Garfunkel, arr. C Killerby)
- So Deep Is The Night (Chopin/Miller, arr. H Dexter)
- Hana (Cherry Blossoms) (Takeshima/Taki, arr. C Killerby)
- Skye Boat Song (Sangerstevne Festival Piece)
- Ej Lasko Lasko (Trad. Czech)
- Hallelujah (Cohen, arr. C Killerby)
- Blessing (C Killerby)
Mass Choir Sangerstevne Festival Piece - Can-Can
CWC and Armonia Casorate had both learned Can-Can to sing at their concerts the next day, and Take Twenty agreed to look at it so we could all sing it together at the end.
Armonia Casorate had asked us to suggest something to eat, so we did a bulk order of fish and chips which CWC and Take Twenty also tucked into in the hall.
Our thanks to Jan for collecting the food while we were still singing, our own Penny for organising and all the members of the choir who pitched in to clear up with military precision afterwards.